27 Oct S4 E05 | The Irrational Relationship of the Church to the World
Today we look at the irrational relationship between the Church and the World. The world is not your friend dear Christian—stop acting like it is!
Key Verse: 1 Samuel 19:1 “Saul spoke to Jonathan his son and to all his servants, that they should kill David.”
Theme: Thriving in a world at odds with your faith
1 Samuel 19; 1 Samuel 18:30; John 8:44; John 10:10; 2 Corinthians 4:4; 1 Samuel 18:22; James 4:4; Matthew 24:12; John 15:18–19; 1 John 3:1; John 17:16; Hebrews 4:12; John 12:25; Matthew 10:38; 1 John 3:13; 1 Peter 2:9; Matthew 6:1; Romans 1:18-32; Psalm 59; James 1:8; Psalm 84:8; Psalm 91:1;
- Kyrios or kurios in Greek = Lord
Biblical Examples of Exiles:
- Joseph’s time in Egypt: Genesis 37-50
- Moses’s time in the Wilderness: Exodus 15-40 (and continues through Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy)
- Daniel’s captivity in Babylon: Daniel
- Jesus’ 40 days and nights of temptation in the Wilderness: Matthew 4:1-11; Mark 1:11-13; Luke 4:1-14
Points to Note:
Reminder, the story of Saul & David is Our Story:
- Saul : [Kingdoms of this world] Self-Centered, Demanding, Disobedient to God, Seeks His Own Glory
- David: [Kingdom of God] Other-Centered, Giving/Self-Sacrificing, Obedient to God, Seeks the Glory of God
- Christian, the world is full of lies. Do not be deceived.
- God’s preparation does not happen in the palaces of men but in the wilderness of exile.
- We need the TRUTH and the Presence of God.
Recognize the Following:
- Michal: [Worldy Christians] David’s first wife is a picture of worldly Christians who at times show great affection for the LORD and then when things get tough, they bail… acquiescing to the pattern of this world.
- Saul on his throne with a spear in his hand: [the World] The spirit of the world is always looking for an opportunity to destroy an unsuspecting Christian
- Saul’s Prophecy: [Warning] Our spiritual (ecstatic) experiences are not the sign of our salvation
- Symbolism in 1 Samuel 19:18: (1) Naioth= habitations or the place where God dwells (2) Samuel = God’s Word (3) David= Jesus
- The world hates you, but it cannot defeat you when you surround yourself with God’s Presence and receive His Word
Questions to Consider:
- Why does the world hate the Church?
- How do we stand strong when we are surrounded by irrational animosity from the world?
- How have the trials you’ve gone through revealed your character?
- Which side are you trending towards in your life?
- What has “speared” you in your life?
- Do you hunger and desire the presence of God?
Weekend worship is important because it takes us out of the world and into worshiping and receiving the Word of God. If you do not have a home church, we invite you to join with us this weekend at a Waters Church campus near you: (1) in person@ https://waterschurch.org/locations or (2) online @waterschurch.tv
Life wasn’t meant to be done alone! Find your connection: in-person; online; in-action https://waterschurch.org/life-groups/