20 Oct S4 E04 | The Bitter Pill of Jealousy
This week we are talking about a sin that often doesn’t get recognized but is dangerous to who we are: the bitter pill of JEALOUSY.
Key Verse: 1 Samuel 18:8-9 “And Saul was very angry… And Saul eyed David from that day on.”
Theme: The Dangerous Jealous Spirit
- You can read the story of David battling Goliath in 1 Samuel 17
- The story of Cain and Abel can be found in Genesis 4
- You can read the account of God giving Moses the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20
Points to Note:
Reminder from Episode 01:
- Saul : [Kingdoms of this world] Self-Centered, Demanding, Disobedient to God, Seeks His Own Glory
- David: [Kingdom of God] Other-Centered, Giving/Self-Sacrificing, Obedient to God, Seeks the Glory of God
- Point #1 Jealousy takes over our lives
- Point #2 Jealousy makes it impossible for us to enjoy our lives
- Point #3 Jealousy makes enemies out of partners (and partners out of enemies)
- Point #4 Jealousy leads us to use people we are supposed to love and serve
- Point #5 Jealousy blinds you to the good God is doing in your life because you want someone else’s life!
Recognize the Following:
Great victories in one person’s life, can stir up jealousy in another person’s life.
Oftentimes we commit acts of jealousy and do not realize it right away–unlike almost every other sin.
Christian discipleship is moving away from what people think about you because you come to know what God thinks about you.
This chapter is asking us to follow the lead of Jonathan: Declare, “Jesus, here is my life. I am laying down my weapons, my identity, my stuff, and I am going to trust You and believe Your Word is True. When You say, “there is a future”, my hope is secure in You!
Questions to Consider:
- Have you ever had a relationship that was once sweet, turn quickly bitter? (because of someone else or yourself)
- How do you respond to the praise of people?
- What do you do when you don’t get praise? Do you get upset or angry or feel like life is not worth living?
- Have you experienced a moment where you or someone else receives praise and it taints the relationship?
- What relationships might be destroyed in your life if you base your value on praise?
- What can’t you enjoy in your life right now because you are worried about what someone else has?
- Are you measuring your life against what someone else has?
Challenge Yourself this week: make a list of all the good things in your life
Past weekend’s message— Jesus is Coming | Part 1 “GUT PUNCH”